Working in a busy office setting can sometimes be overwhelming. It is easy to get lost in your work and forget that you have been sitting for hours. Being a full-time student with a full-time desk job calls for A LOT of sitting — so here are some of my favorite ways to stay active at the office!
- PARK FAR!
- Park far, and I mean very FAR, from your office. Sometimes, being at a big university calls for crappy parking, and many complain about the long walks. I, however, see it as an advantage. My parking lot is near my office, but still requires a bit of a walk. I’m never one to race to the front and try to get the closest parking space. I park way in the back on the last isle. It’s comes with its perks: I never have to spend time looking for a spot up front. It is about 1500 steps to my office, which puts me ahead of the game (10,000 daily step goal).
- TAKE THE STAIRS!
- I work on the 5th and highest floor of my building, and there is not one day I do not take the stairs. People look at me like I am crazy, but I see it as a mini-workout when I am running up the stairs for work. It gets my heart rate racing and I burn a few calories.
- LOOK AT THE CLOCK!
- If you have been sitting for over 30 minutes, get up and stretch. I usually stretch and try to do about 20 squats. It wakes me up every time!
- TAKE THE LONG WAY TO THE BATHROOM!
- When I need to go to the bathroom, I usually loop around our entire floor before I get to the actual restroom. When I am feeling really adventurous, I go all the way down to the 1st floor, use the restroom, then take the stairs back the 5th floor.
- LAY OFF THE SNACKS!
- Doesn’t it seem like everyone in the office has those delicious chocolate-y snacks? They may be delicious, but I feel like every time I eat one while at the office it slows me down and I feel sluggish. Even though it seems like a good idea at the moment, it is definitely not worth feeling tired the rest of the afternoon. I’m glad I’ve kicked that habit.
Check back here soon for more tips & tricks on how to stay active with a busy lifestyle!